- Taxation for offshore companies: no
- Annual fee: dependent on level of share capital
- From 0 to 50,000 USD: 100 USD
- Over 50,001 USD: 1,000 USD
- Offshore company tax statements: no
- Accounts department: not required
- Annual reports: no
- Legal system: founded on common law
- Non-resident exchange controls: offshore activities are exempt
Belize, possibly better known as, British Honduras is an independent state with an area of around 23,000 km², which is bordered by both Mexico and by Guatemala, and which is situated on the Caribbean coast of Central America.
The main commercial hub which is located close to its largest international airport is Belize City, although the capital city is Belmopan. The population of Belize is approximately 300,000, of whom around 60,000 live in Belize City.
Belize has a long history of peace, stability, and democracy. Belize is a member of the British Commonwealth. Successful governments have engaged in economic development and international investment incentives.
In addition to being a growing offshore location, Belize has managed to preserve its environment, and is a popular destination for eco-tourists. The country also possesses a number of Mayan archaeological sites.
The offshore and financial sectors are generating an increasing proportion of its national income.
- Bookkeeping / financial publications: No
- Annual returns required by the authorities: No
- Location for shareholder meetings: unrestricted.
- Corporation tax: 0% on offshore profits (not on revenue generated from conducting business within the territory and under the jurisdiction of Belize).
- Change controls: Yes, but this does not apply to offshore companies who are an “International Business Company”.
- Currency: Belize Dollar (BZD).
- Frameworks for commercial activity: The “IBC” may not trade within the jurisdiction of Belize, nor may it own real estate property. It is also unable to engage in banking, insurance, or reinsurance related activities.
- Financial beneficiary disclosure to the authorities: No.
- Headquarters: Yes, and this should be maintained at the address of the locally authorised agent.
- Types of authorised shares: Shares with or without voting rights, registered shares, priority shares. Bearer shares / shares without nominal value: Yes / Yes.
- Directors: Minimum number / location: Restricted/unrestricted. The post of director may be held by a legal entity or by an individual. He/she may be of any nationality and need not be a taxpayer within Belize.
- Company Secretary: compulsory/ location: Unrestricted/restricted. The appointment of a Company Secretary is not a legal requirement, but one is normally appointed in order to facilitate the reporting requirements of the offshore company.
- Headquarters / Locally authorised agent(s): Yes / Yes.
- Shareholders: Minimum of one.
- Incorporation: $2,500.00
- Costs for maintenance and domiciliation: $1,800.00